Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Test Results, etc.

I "saw" my neurologist yesterday for my annual assessment.  (I "saw" her by Zoom conference.)  The neuropsychologist had tested me two weeks before, and yesterday I received the results.  They weren't great -- which wasn't a surprise.

As I said before, I've been on kind of a cognitive roller coaster since April 2019, and I had two terrible nights of insomnia before the test.  So I was expecting disappointing results.  They didn't quantify the results, but they said they were concerned.  I should receive the report in the mail with all of the numbers in a few days.  She said they would compare the results over the past few years.

One thing the neurologist noted is that I have been steadily taking on more responsibilities which raises stress levels.  The stress hormone, cortisol, has been known to be hard on the hippocampus of people with Alzheimer's disease.  She also suggested that I speak with my primary care provider about the possibility of a vitamin D3 deficiency.  So I sent him an email asking about the blood test she suggested.

We also talked a little bit about the SNIFF study with insulin.  She said that it may not be dead yet.  As noted here, there may have been a problem with the delivery system, and so the research may not have been valid.

After meeting with her, I attended an on-line webinar about progress with Alzheimer's research in the Pacific Northwest.  Most research is at a standstill, and some research has been abandoned due to the pandemic.  Most of the research they discussed was promising work showing how much can be gained through exercise and other lifestyle improvements.

We have finalized the new book (Beating the Dementia Monster, 2nd edition) and the cover -- I hope.  My co-author and I should receive proof copies on Tuesday.  If they're good, we go to press next week!  There will be a two-week window with a low introductory price, and you will be told when that starts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...