Sunday, June 9, 2019

Stepping Back on Balance

In yesterday's post, "Two Steps Forward, One Step Back," I discussed a hiccup in my cognition that, for now, seems to have passed.  It was deeper and lasted longer than my previous hiccups, but things seem to be well now.  However...

I did not mention that part of the hiccup was a new issue with balance.  Since the very beginning (2013 or earlier) I have had a problem with balance.  In fact, this was the first sign that something was wrong.  My vestibular system (inner ear) was tested twice, but nothing was found wrong there.  That suggested that something was wrong with my brain.  Subsequently, I learned habituation exercises that re-train my brain and give me stability for several days at a time.  But in May of this year, at the same time I began having new cognition problems, I also began having a new problem with balance.

The new problem feels different from the problem that I had already been experiencing.  My sense is that the new balance issue is superimposed over the original problem.  When I do habituation exercises I still sense relief for the original problem but not the new one. Fortunately, both problems only manifest when I am standing or walking, not when I'm sitting.  And now when I'm driving.

Balance has actually been one of the most unpleasant parts of my experience with this disease.  When the habituation exercises have been ineffective, or their effects are wearing off, I feel quite unwell.  Not quite nauseous, but almost.  I think this is a side of the disease that most people don't understand, because they only think about memory loss.  On the other hand, I've read research papers indicating that it's a minority of us with AD who experience significant balance issues.  

The original problem usually made me feel intoxicated.  One question I was asked in neurological screening was "Do you ever worry others will think you are drunk?"  (I answered in the affirmative.)  The new problem does not make me feel intoxicated, but it definitely disturbs my gait, even more than the original.  In fact, it disturbs may gait quite a bit to the point of being quite unsettling.

It goes up and down.  A couple of days ago it wasn't a problem, but yesterday it was pretty bad.  And then, today, it's not bad at all.  I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring. 

One more thing to discuss with my neurologist on July 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...