Friday, April 20, 2018

More About New Brain Cells

In my April 14 post, "More in the News," I cited a newspaper article comparing the results of two different studies on neurogenesis.  One study seemed to confirm a consensus viewpoint that new neurons continue to form in hippocampus of aging brains, while the other concluded that neurogenesis ended in the teen years.  The recent edition of the ALZFORUM weekly newsletter carried an article that also compared both studies

ALZFORUM is more sophisticated than the local paper, and it added detail to the comparison that I had not seen before.  I wouldn't say that ALZFORUM tried to reconcile the two different conclusions, nor did they favor one over the other.  But they did indicate that the Columbia study supports an emerging consensus that new neurons can form in the hippocampus even late in life.  This is what I was learning in my own reading and discussions with researchers.

I suspect that we'll hear more about these.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...