Wednesday, October 16, 2024

A Clarification...

Yesterday, I wrote about chronic diseases stemming from metabolic syndrome.  These included heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, some cancers, etc.  I said that RFK Jr had taken a position on this that I thought was important.  However, this should not be taken as an endorsement of all things RFK Jr.  Even in the area of medicine and health, some of his ideas are, well, fringe, and I'm not on the same page with him.  I simply agree with him that our response to the diseases stemming from metabolic syndrome needs much more focus on prevention as opposed to medications.

An anecdote:  When I was 17, I worked in a shoe store not far from Hickory Hill, the Robert F. Kennedy estate.  At back-to-school time, Ethel would have their chauffeur (can't remember his name) load all the kids into their limousine and send them to our store for new shoes.  RFK Jr would have been about 12.  Robert and Ethel eventually had 11 children, two of whom had not yet been born.  I remember them all sitting in a row against the wall, waiting for Mort, my boss, to fit each one.  (Note: I may have worked at a store near where the Kennedy's lived, but we definitely lived on the other side of the railroad tracks from them.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the information you provide. Do you have any advice for those who have loved one who do not acknowledge they have the disease. My wife is 64 years old. She has difficulty in making lifestyle changes.

    FYI, she has the APOE4 gene. Her family (paternal side) has Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Glioblastoma and her siblings a have the APOE4 gene.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

A Clarification...

Yesterday, I wrote about chronic diseases stemming from metabolic syndrome .  These included heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 dia...