Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Is my time up yet?

In Beating the Dementia Monster, we recalled an interview with a neuropsychologist/Alzheimer's disease researcher who reviewed my condition and concluded that I was on track to be dead by the age of 75.  At the time, I was 66 and had pretty strong evidence of my advancing condition.  Later, when I began learning more about the disease, I could see that the researcher recognized that I was on a very typical trajectory.  It was very easy to see my end at 75.

Well, without posting my exact birthday, let me say that I recently reached 75.  And I'm not dead.  If fact, I feel great.

Of course, if you're familiar with the story of this encounter, you know that I told the researcher that I had just joined the gym and otherwise flipped my lifestyle.  I told him that I believed I had begun to see improvements in my memory and cognition.  By sketching a graph on a piece of paper, he indicated that if I would keep my new lifestyle going, I could expect to live at least to 85.

I don't know how I'll feel when I'm 85, but from here, that looks pretty good to me.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear this. You are a true inspiration to me. How are things going with your sleep and the acupuncture treatments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll be updating on acupuncture soon.

      Delete
  2. That is great! Keep up the good work! Bob Reed from Japan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AWESOME news! Happy Healthy Birthday and Many More!! - -Linda Lee @LadyQuixote

    ReplyDelete

A New Drug on the Horizon?

Troriluzole .  I've never heard of it before.  But it just popped up on my radar as a new treatment candidate for Alzheimer's diseas...