Thursday, May 2, 2024

That online test and ... chocolate!

Last time I wrote, I talked about the online cognitive test from LANGaware.  The first time I took it on April 23, I came up as cognitively impaired.  I took the test two more times since then and came up normal.  However, my "normal" had some deficits.  In my post of April 23, I shared the map of my cognition, showing those of my strengths and deficits that had been measured.  I took one more test after that showing a wider range of strengths, but still substantial deficits.  Still within normal.

The obvious question is "the practice effect."  Did I do better simply because I had practiced their test?  All I can say is that, with each test, they based their results on largely differing measures.  I presume that helps with the practice effect, since I studied the results for each test to understand where I'd been short before taking the next test.  So ... who knows?

But I also came across a very reassuring video reinforcing my joy in eating dark chocolate!  Now I've sworn off milk chocolate since its sugar content surely causes more problems than it helps.  But dark chocolate contains flavanols, polyphenols, and catechins that are powerful antioxidants.  Maybe even more than blueberries.  These are great for both heart health and brain health.  (The neurologists always say, "What's good for the heart is good for the brain!")

In the video, the neurologist describes the benefits of eating dark chocolate, noting that chocolate with too much sugar won't help you.  (So no milk chocolate.)  If fact, you should verify that it is 70% or more cacao

I noticed that brands like Lindt and Ghirharde can be a bit pricey.  However, Sam's Club at Walmart, 72% cacao, is reasonably priced.  For a while, we could get Jojo's Dark Chocolate Bars at Costco, but they have been discontinued.  That was my favorite.

I love chocolate, so the warnings that come with this dietary recommendation from the experts can be discouraging.  Only one or two pieces a day.  Otherwise, they say, you negate the positive effects with the amount of sugar you will be consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...