Saturday, January 14, 2023

I'd better say this!

I have been doing a pretty radical daily fast since 2020, and I'm now 73.  You should understand that intermittent fasting is not recommended for the elderly.  Some say you're elderly when you're over the age of 65 with functional impairments or if you are otherwise over the age of 75.  But it depends on who you ask.  As I understand it, the concern is that elderly people have more trouble getting all of their nutrition, and fasting will impair that further.  This is why we have products like Ensure.  (People with eating disorders also should not fast.)

What I'm trying to do here is tell what I've done and what my experience has been.  I underscore these with stories about research and news on brain health.  In Beating the Dementia Monster, I warn strongly against starting an exercise program if you are over 50 and haven't consulted with your doctor.  I have consulted with both my primary care provider and neurologists concerning both my exercise and my fasting.  They have asked some questions, but they haven't discouraged me from doing these.  And I'm not having trouble getting all of my nutrition.  Even with the fasting, it's still a fight to keep my weight where I want it.

Nevertheless, older people must consult with medical professionals about both fasting and exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...