Friday, November 4, 2022

Perils of the Plant-Based Diet

In early September, Amy and I visited Maui.  While there, I was stricken by a very nasty kidney stone.  I've never had a kidney stone before, and I was slow to realize what was going on.  My son took me to a doc-in-the-box, where they treated me with a muscle relaxant and lots of ibuprofen.  The symptoms faded over then next week, and I assumed I was done with it.  

In mid-October, I went for my annual visit with my urologist, and I told him what had happened.  While I was free of symptoms, he thought it best that I have an ultrasound and x-ray to see if there weren't other stones forming.  So I went yesterday for both.  They found a stone in my right kidney that is, according to the x-ray, 13mm x 15mm.  I haven't spoken with my urologist about this yet, but if YouTube is right, a stone that size requires surgery of some kind.

When I discussed the Maui kidney stone with my urologist, I wondered what causes kidney stones, and why I should be getting one now.  One likely possibility is that, in implementing the MIND diet, I have added a lot of spinach to what I eat.  Spinach is high in oxalates, which cause kidney stones.  When I look at the material he gave me on kidney stones, I've become convinced that I need to cut back on spinach.  I can make up the difference with broccoli and other vegetables.

The material suggested that oxalate is in so many foods, that you can't just cut it out.  But I should go light on the particularly high oxalate foods.  Unfortunately, many of these show up in the brain-healthy diets, including mine -- spinach, of course, but notably nuts, beans, and chocolate. 

I hope to see my urologist soon to review the imaging results.  Hopefully he'll have some more suggestions for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...