Wednesday, July 14, 2021

This just in: My cognitive test results

As I said earlier, the results of my annual cognitive tests of July 6 are to be formally presented to me by my neurologist on July 20.  However, the neuropsychologist has completed the evaluation, and the report has been posted to my patient portal.  I am quite happy with the results.

There were 51 individual tests, a few of which I'd never seen before.  A few tests I'd received in the past were not repeated.  

What follows is a terrible way to assess the results.  But I counted one of the 51 tests scored as "very superior," five as "superior," nine as "high average," 27 as "average," two as "low average," and seven "within normal limits."  

Regarding changes from last year, 14 tests were higher, and four were lower.  The rest were unchanged.

Regarding changes from 2018, four were higher and 14 were lower.  The rest were unchanged.

This bean counting doesn't reflect how much better or worse I was between tests with any rigor, nor does it provide a professional assessment of actual change.  Also, it's not clear to me how much these tests would change with simple normal aging.  It would be normal for the scores to decline over a two year period in a completely normal person, but I don't know by how much. 

The neuropsychologist's interpretation in the report is that there has been no indication of progressive decline since 2018.  (Yay.)  The report acknowledged that I did less well last year, but that could be attributed to sleep issues.  In fact, as with 2019, we should probably skip testing next year, delaying 18 to 24 months.  I'm OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...