Wednesday, June 23, 2021

A Definitive Study on Exercise and Alzheimer's Disease? Finally?

In 2015 I began reading that exercise might help with stalling the progress of my Alzheimer's disease, and my subsequent experience proved those claims to be correct.  But the authoritative annual Alzheimer's Association Facts and Figures Report continues to be circumspect on the subject, saying more research is needed before anything definitive can be said.  As we explain in Beating the Dementia Monster, I've read a lot of research on exercise, and I'm not sure what more they still need.

In my recent post on Posiphen research, I mentioned a sponsor, the Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study, and I linked to their web site.  There, they mention another intriguing study, the Exert Study.  The objective of the study is to see what happens when people with MCI due to Alzheimer's disease and who have been sedentary begin getting aerobic exercise and persevere for 18 months.  The study is now well underway, and they expect to finish in November of this year.  

But ... I don't know how covid has affected execution of the Exert study.  It has required participants to go to the gym with a personal trainer four times/week for the whole 18 months.  Well, gyms were closed for a long time, and I don't know how they managed the social distancing with the trainers.  So I don't know how this will work out.

As I describe in Beating the Dementia Monster, I began getting some exercise by walking the mile to work every day in October 2015, and then I joined the gym in December.  It was probably April when I began to sense a change, and it was later that year when testing for the insulin study began to provide objective evidence of improvement.  I don't know if everyone's cognition will respond as mine did, but I think that six months of good data should show something positive. 

2 comments:

  1. A doctor told me a decade or so ago that exercise was the #1 thing I could do to stave off cognitive decline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sui. That doctor was absolutely right. Some say that Alzheimer's is a completely preventable disease. Don't know if that's 100% true, but there's certainly a lot of truth in it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...