Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Glaucoma and Alzheimer's Disease?

Today, I came across a report of correlation between a diagnosis of glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy with a concurrent diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease.  The researchers were from the University of Washington, and the research was published in the August issue of the journal Alzheimer's and Dementia.

The abstract is here.  I've ordered a copy of the actual research report, but I don't know if they'll share it with me. If I can get it, I'll post any interesting insights.  Here is a news article from Science Daily.

The correlation is quite remarkable.  The strongest correlation is with glaucoma, with an increase of probability of developing AD of more than 50%.  The researchers concluded that an ophthalmic diagnosis is a risk factor for AD.

What a coincidence.  I was diagnosed with glaucoma right about the time Alzheimer's raised its very ugly head.  My glaucoma was diagnosed in January 2012, and I began experiencing balance problems that same year.  Cognitive problems didn't become evident until 2014.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Kisunla

We reported previously that the FDA's advisory panel had recommended approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment donanemab.  This foll...